Research on Exercise and Mental Health:
- Walk and Talk Therapy – WebMD – Exercise is good for the body and the mind. It may also improve psychotherapy sessions.
- NRP Shots – Why exercise may do a teenage mind good.
- About.com – Walking for your mind and spirit.
- BBC News – Walking could be a useful tool in treating depression.
- NY TIMES – How exercise can calm anxiety.
- Prevention – Drug-free plan to improve your mood.
- Brainblogger – Exercise for depression; a gold standard therapy.
- Huffington Post – How to put your Monster Anxiety on a Diet
- http://shar.es/ibK0E – Forget about wonder drugs, a spate of new research shows that exercising today is the key to staying sharp tomorrow.
- NY TIMES – Hollywoods new stars – pedestrians.
Book Recommendations for Mental & Physical Wellness:
- Spark, The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey, MD
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhig
- Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind by Kristin Neff, PhD
- Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach, PhD
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let go of Who You Think You Should Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms The Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD and Elyse Resch MS, RD
- Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
Book Recommendations for Relationship Fulfillment:
- Helping Your Troubled Teen by Cynthia Kaplan, PhD, Blaise Aguirre, MD, Michael Rater, MD
- Don’t Feed the Ants (for young kids with anxiety) by Erin Bernardi
- How To Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It by Patricia Love, ED.D. and Steven Stosny, PhD
- Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch, PhD
- Divorce Busting by Michele Weiner-Davis
- The Sex-Starved Marriage by Michele Weiner-Davis
- Change Your Life and Everyone In It by Michele Weiner-Davis
- Where to Draw the Line by Anne Katherine, MA
- Love is a Verb by Bill O’Hanlon and Pat O’Hanlon
- Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
- It Takes One to Tango by Winifred M. Reilly, MA, MFT
- You Are the One You’ve Been Waiting For by Richard C. Schwartz
- The Road Back to You by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile
- Headspace App– for Mindfulness Meditation
- Calm App– for Meditation and Sleep
- Moodnotes App– Thought Journal
- Vulnerability Ted Talk by Brene Brown
- Listening to Shame Ted Talk by Brene Brown
- The Secret to Desire in a Long-Term Relationship Ted Talk by Esther Perel
- Rethinking Infidelity Ted Talk by Esther Perel
Mental Health Links
The following links are listed to provide you with additional online mental health care information. Please also check the additional links provided for physical health for a more comprehensive understanding of your overall well-being. The following is not meant to be a comprehensive list, nor is it an endorsement of the content of the sites.
Associations & Institutes
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychological Society
- Center for Mental Health Services
- Mental Health America
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Mental Health Association
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Sleep Foundation
- National Women’s Health Resource Center
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Federation for Mental Health
Suicide Awareness and Hotlines
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Suicide: Read This First
- Bipolar Disorder News – Pendulum.org
- Depression and How Therapy Can Help
- Depression Screening
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Beyond OCD
- International OCD Foundation
- Obsessive Compulsive Information Center
- Trichotillomania Learning Center
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- National Center for PTSD
- Give an Hour— for veterans and their families
- National Center for PTSD Real Warriors (U.S. Department of Defense)— for veterans and their families
- The Gift From Within
- Sidran Institute
Addiction and Recovery
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Child Abuse and Domestic Violence
- Childhelp USA®
- Questions and Answers about Memories of Childhood Abuse
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline Website
- DrugWatch.com provides up-to-date information about prescription and over-the-counter medications, including details about associated side effects.
- Drugalert.org is a comprehensive database with information and news alerts about potentially dangerous drugs currently on the market or previously available worldwide.
Physical Health Links
The following resources are general resources to support overall well-being and physical health. The resources are intended to complement, not replace, professional medical advice.
Medications and Health Supplements
- Medication, Internet Mental Health
- Medications, PDR
- Medline, Comparison
- The People Pharmacy
- National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Your Disease Risk
- Mayo Clinic
- Duke Integrative Medicine
Begin Treatment in Gallatin, TN
You deserve support in overcoming your symptoms. Our team of caring therapists can help equip you with the tools to cope with your symptoms, and feel more at peace.
To start therapy with our Gallatin, TN-based therapy practice, please follow these steps:
Contact TN Mental Wellness
Meet with a caring therapist
Start improving your mental health!
Other Services Offered with TN Mental Wellness
At TN Mental Wellness, we are happy to offer a variety of services in support of your mental health. Our team offers counseling for teens, art therapy, couples counseling, divorce recovery, postpartum treatment, and brainspotting. Other services offered include health coaching, LGBTQIA therapy, divorce support groups ,online courses and corporate seminars. Feel free to learn more by visiting our blog or FAQs page today